Tuesday, January 11, 2011

What do I want to accomplish in this course?

The one thing I expect to achieve in this course is an overall understanding and firm grasp of all fundamental concepts of English writing. Yes, this is a simple and obvious answer for sure, but that doesn’t make my answer any less true, and the rest of this Blog Post will explain why.
When I was taught Writing in high school it felt as if they were just teaching me a broad range of superficial lessens that seemed to be designed with nothing but memorization in mind. I wouldn’t say I necessarily LEARNED anything; in fact, all I did was memorize as much as I could, take the SOL test, pass it, and move on to the next grade.  I believe this is the reason why I still struggle with some of the most fundamental concepts pertaining to the Writing process. Some of these concepts include Expressiveness and Mechanics.
 For instance, I have noticed throughout my life that I tend to rely heavily on words such as nevertheless, moreover, and however throughout my writings.  Needless to say I’d love to expand my vocabulary so that I no longer feel the need to rely so heavily on these words in the future.  As mentioned above I also have many mechanical problems in most of my essays.  I graduated high school and I still don’t know when to use the words there and their or whole and hole. Now I’m not an expert or anything but, I’d say that’s a problem.
Now as you know, this course is not the only subject in which I am going to have to write essays. Consequently the things that I learn in this course will prove useful in many other classes that I may choose to participate in while I attend Tidewater Community College.
This class will help me in my professional life as well. I plan to pursue a career in Business Administration. Understanding the fundamentals of Writing is crucial to being a good businessman. If I ever have to write a Cover Letter or Proposal for example, I want to write it correctly.

No comments:

Post a Comment